Principles of Human Rights Work in Belarus
This document presents a set of professional and ethical principles determining the requirements for human rights defenders and their professional activities. It is based on the ethical criteria and traditions of human rights work in Belarus, as well as on the international standards and rules for human rights activities.
The purpose of these Principles is to foster responsible corporate culture in the human rights community, which will contribute to raising public trust to and respect for the human rights community, taking into account the social importance of human rights work. The adherence to the Principles is the moral duty of every human rights defender.
The Principles of Human Rights Work apply to relations between human rights defenders and to relations of human rights defenders with victims of human rights violations, public authorities, international organizations, civil society organizations, other professional communities, and the media.
The document applies to the Belarusian human rights organizations and human rights defenders in their individual capacity and is open for the accession.
Human rights defenders are those individuals, groups and bodies of the society who, acting peacefully, individually and/or jointly with others, exercise, promote and/or protect human rights and fundamental freedoms at the local, national and/or international levels. They recognize the universality of human rights for all without any distinction.
The following human rights organizations have acceded to the Principles:
1. The Belarusian Helsinki Committee
2. Belarusian Association of Journalists
3. The Belarusian Documentation Center
4. Human Rights Movement "Our Belarus"
5. Initiative group "Movement of mothers 328"
6. Legal assistance to the population
7. The Initiative Group "Identity and Law"
8. Human Rights Center "Viasna"
9. The legal initiative
10. League of Development of Democracy "Civil Verdict"
11. The Initiative Group "For a Fair Trial in Belarus"
12. Mogilev Human Rights Center
13. The social and information institution "TimeAct"
14. Francišak Skaryna Belarusian Language Society
15. Establishment of the "International Childhood Center"
16. Civil initiative against lawlessness in the courts and the prosecutor's office
17. The Belarusian PEN Center
18. Center for Problems of Child Development "Levaniya"
19. The Barys Zvoskau Belarusian Human Rights House
20. Expert Law Partnership "FORB Initiative"
21. Legal Transformation Centre (Lawtrend)
22. Gomel Strategic Litigation Center
23. Advisory Centre on contemporary international practices and their implementation in law ” Human Constanta”
24. Educational and outreach initiative "Praŭnyja Darektary"
26. Initiative Human Rights Defenders against Torture
27. Outreach and Charity Institution the Committee "Salidarnasc"